Wednesday, July 13

Canvas talking

My friend Kamila is doing some fabulous research involving museums in London. I took part in one of her experiments and it was an extraordinary self-revelation exercise.
Armed with a voice recorder, I had to choose two painters exposing in the gallery, a couple of paintings from each, and talk for half an hour about the paintings whilst facing them.

I chose Rembrandt and Seurat, Rembrandt being one of my favorites, Seurat because I wanted to have contrasting artists. The experiment was incredible, as I have never verbalized art before. I was also amazed (and so was Kamila) with how much I had to say (note: not necessarily amazed with how good what I had to say was!).
It will definitely be something I will be doing often, obviously without the recorder and without the need to talk it out loud.
It made me see paintings I took for granted in a totally different way.