Saturday, July 23

Geek dinner

Yesterday I attended my first geek dinner, held at this place in central London. It was good to finally put some faces to the blogs I've been reading. Met a few 'famous' geeks such as Chris DiBona from Google -the man behind the Summer Of Code program, Jeremy Zawodny from Yahoo, alongside with Helen, Rachel, Peter, and some others whose names I can't remember or didn't get.

Thought it was very interesting to have a guy from Google and a guy from Yahoo together in the same table (which happened to be the table I was sitting).
Their personalities highlighted the current state of the companies they work for:

  • Yahoo, the colossal Internet mammoth now somewhat peripheral to the media hype, was represented by an obviously very intelligent but quite low profile Jeremy.
  • Google, on the other hand, is the place to be; the company-du-jour, the site at the forefront of most of today's technology innovation, and the company that probably has the highest levels of media attention in the corporate-sphere these days, was represented by a very eloquent, pervasive, excited, charismatic and over-confident Chris.

Tell me the company you work for and I'll tell you how you are?

No comments: